Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the Bay Farm community. Starting at a new school can be a confusing transition. We’ve complied a list of common questions and their answers to help you with this transition. If you have other questions please email our PTSA President at email@example.com or our school Principal, Katherine Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I register my child for school?
- Visit the AUSD Enrollment page for information for new students and returning students.
What is the best way to receive information from the PTSA, coordinate with classmates and to find out what is happening?
- Join Konstella! Konstella is the communication tool used by the PTSA. Go to Konstella.com or download the iOS or Android app.
- Parent Square is the communication tool used by Alameda Unified School District and is separate from Konstella. Join both to receive the distinct communications from each.
Where is the school calendar and bell schedule?
You can find Bay Farm’s school calendar and bell schedule on the school website.
Is there a meet-up during the summer?
- There are regularly 1-2 Popsicle Play-dates for incoming kindergartners. Please attend an Information Night or Kindergarten Tour in January to get on the email list to find out about these events.
- There will be a school-wide Back-to-School Meet Up the Friday evening before school starts.
- Occasionally there are parent-planned meet ups for other grades. These are promoted on our Facebook page: Bay Farm School – PTSA
How do I find out my child’s teacher & classroom?
- Class assignments usually come out the Thursday before school starts. You receive your child’s teacher’s name online via the Aeries Parent Portal.
- Here is a map of the school:
Where do I find the school supplies list?
All the basic supplies your child will need will be supplied by the school. Your teacher may send home some requests for special items or suggestions for at home, but nothing is needed before the first day of school.
What should I expect on the first day and first week of school?
- Fun! Learning! Excitement! Nerves! Fatigue!
- The 1st– 8th graders will be on a modified schedule for the first week, with pickup at 12:30PM.
- Kindergartners will get out at 11:40 for the first 3 weeks of school.
What is the etiquette for dropping off and picking up students at school?
- Bay Farm students are strongly encouraged to get to school in a green manner. Walking, biking, and scooting are all great options. Once on campus bikes, scooters, skates are not allowed to be used. Please walk these items on campus.
- The white/yellow zones in the loop in front of the school are drop and go only. Please only use it with kids who can let themselves out of or into the car quickly and independently. As a courtesy please pull forward as far as you can along the white curbs. There is no parking or idling in the loop in front of the school. Leaving vehicles unattended in the loop is strictly prohibited!
- Limited parking is available on Aughinbaugh directly in front of the staff parking lot. If you end up parking in a local neighborhood please be respectful and don’t block driveways, fire hydrants or crosswalks. Also, please pull up so as to accommodate as many cars as possible.
- Do not park in the staff parking lot (exception: disabled adults or students with visible placards or license plates).
- Respect the crossing guards and the School Safety Team. Please stop when the STOP sign is raised.
What do I need to do to volunteer?
- Each volunteer needs to fill out the Volunteer Agreement Form from AUSD and have a current tuberculous (TB) test on file with the office.
- If you plan to volunteer/interact with children while unsupervised by a teacher or staff member, you will also need to be fingerprinted at a Live Scan location (form provided by office).
- If you plan on driving children in your car you will also need to provide proof of sufficient insurance.
- Watch Konstella for volunteer opportunities or contact any board member.
- You can also sign-up to volunteer in class with your student’s teacher.
What are options for before and after school care?
There are many different options available. On site there is Alameda Island Kids (run by Girls Inc.) and at Tillman Park is the popular RAP program (Alameda Rec & Parks). Visit the AUSD page on After School Care and Activities for even more choices.
When are the school holidays and minimum days?
- For information on district wide holidays and minimum days visit the AUSD Calendar.
- For Bay Farm specific holidays and minimum days, as well as the current bell schedule, check out the Bay Farm School Calendar .
How does my child buy a hot lunch at school?
Starting in the 2021-2022 School Year, all California students may receive a free school breakfast and lunch. More information about the AUSD school nutrition program and the daily lunch menu are found on the AUSD Nutrition Services webpage. Regardless of economic status, all students are asked to apply for the free and reduced lunch program. This application DOES NOT impact your child’s ability to receive a free school lunch. It CAN provide additional benefits for your student and Bay Farm School.
How can I buy cool Bay Farm spirit wear?
Visit our online Spirit Store to see what is currently available.
What should I do if my child is being bullied?
Please review the AUSD Anti-Bias and Anti-Bullying Resources page for information on addressing incidents of bullying on campus.
What will happen if there is an emergency while my child is at school?
Please review the AUSD Emergency Plan and the A.L.I.C.E. FAQ for information on what will happen in case of an emergency. Also, always make sure your child’s emergency information is up to date in the Aeries Parent Portal
What is this U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School about?
- Learn about how Green Ribbon Schools are selected and honored at the Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools page.
- Exciting article about our own school in the East Bay Times .
- Learn more about what is currently happening to keep our school green with the Go Green Activities and OLC Garden-Science Program.
What is the California Distinguished School Award about?
- Learn about how California Distinguished Schools are selected and honored on the California Department of Education page.
- Exciting article about our own school in the Alameda Patch .
Is Bay Farm PTSA a non-profit charity?
- Yes, Bay Farm PTSA is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Your donations are tax deductible. EIN: 94-3158930.